Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Another Race Car

I got a request for a race car for a little guy's birthday. So here is what I came up with for Tammy Oeken and her "scrapbooker stamper kinda" daughter...

They saw my Lightening McQueen but needed a side view of a race car.  So I tried a little red race car AGAIN.

The base of the car is NOT a punch.  Let me try and explain how to make it.
  • I started with a 3 x 1.5 inch rectangle
  • Looking at the rectangle so that it is WIDER than it is tall and using a pencil make 3 little dots. 
  • Up from bottom left corner by 1/2 inch
  • In from top left corner by 1/2 inch
  • In the middle of the right side (3/4 inch from either side)
NOW
  • Line the dots up on your paper trimmer
  • Cut from the first dot to the second
  • Cut from the second to the third
THEN
  • Put the two left "corners" into a 1.25 inch circle punch as far as they will go (stick them into the hole) This 'rounds' the corners - and looks like THIS



Here is the punch list to use on that base:
Rear spoiler is large oval near large oval hole
Whatever you call the parts to hold on the spoiler - word window
Thing on the front (can you tell I'm not really a car gal?)  - small oval on edge of paper to make it flat on one side.

Rear tires - 1 inch circle
Front tires - 3/4 inch circle
Center of all tires - small circle from itty bitty punch pack

Tail pipe - about 1/3 of a word window - punched with a small circle to get indent at end
Seat "hole" - shortened word window outlined in black marker
Number - stamped and punched with 1/2 inch circle
Racing stripes are from paper trimmer.

Racer body - end of small oval
Helmet - 1 inch circle and piece of word window

This car is about 4 inches long - it will fit on a standard size card.

If you need a bigger car for a scrapbook page - increase the size of your base, use larger tire circles, and switch your small ovals to large ovals (I made one of the spoiler support pieces a modern label and the seat hole is a small oval)

Of course you need to stick decals and stickers all over this for your sponsors!  And now that I see the photo, you might try moving the "seat hole" down closer to the center of your car on the larger 'riderless' version.  Amazing how I can see "fixes" AFTER I photograph stuff.  Oh, well. (sigh)

I have no knowledge of, or interest in, race cars - but hopefully these will get you to the STARTING LINE and you can tweak a few things at the pit stop and wind up VICTORIOUS with a project that makes you proud.

We may have to chip in and send the I-Fairy to some NASCAR events before we try any more race cars - I'm not completely satisfiied with this project(but  at least I showed up for the race).  Tammy, I hope this gets you started.  And happy birthday to the grandson!

2 comments:

slbt17 said...

you are amazing - thanks for sharing!
Sandra

Carolyn Sharkas said...

I think these are great! I'm not a race car fan either, but they look good to me.

hugs,